Can somebody remember Orkut ? Yes, the social networking site by Google which actually popularised social networking in India but later lost the battle and is probably on the list of google products to be shelved.
I am really surprised why google is not concentrating on Orkut to improvise and make it stand apart from the other Social networking sites.
The new version of orkut didnt go well with the users and it just began building the coffin.
In my view , orkut still can rock.The emphasis should have been on features rather than just changing the interface.
1)Orkut communities are the best and a treasure of knowledge and memories.I visit orkut only to have a look at my favourite communities.Orkut can introduce sticky threads option.The threads can be made sticky by the moderators and the user must also be allowed to choose his favourite threads as sticky.
2) Orkut can allow sending notification mails when you recieve messages in orkut.But here it needs to be tackle spam.The notification mails can be from friends,owners or moderators of the community only to eradicate spam.
3) It is very irritating for me to enter a captcha for every third posting i do in communities. Also allow the users to rate/like the posts in Communities.
4) Sticking to the old interface could actually prove productive.That was way better . Allow the features of commenting on status updates and other things as they are currently present.
5) Develop "Share to Orkut" plugins and allow users to post videos from Youtube and etc.I dont want to explain further why they are required.
6) Allow Orkut profile pages to be googlable.
7) Make a movie with story of Orkut buyokotten on how he got this idea. This one would be a great romantic story :P
PS: When i login to facebook, its like i come out of a window to see the outside world.But when i login to orkut, its like i entered a dark room with some antiques.